Thursday, February 15, 2007

the week - in review

So lets start out with a short story about how I saved Cupid for one florist in DC. Yes me... Miss 'for the most part I could really give a shit less about Valentines Day' actually did something nice for the sake of commercialism of the heart holiday.

We all know I work with the business of trees. Trees on city streets. Trees that when they need to be pruned, no parking signs are installed along the street for crews to complete work. So the week previous, I had helped put up these No Parking signs along a street. I did not really pay much attention to the surrounding businesses or much else. I was focused at the task at hand. Put the signs up so people will not be parked there when the work was to be done. I had to revisit the site to replace signs that had been ripped down over the weekend. So there I am reposting, when a lady approaches. She is upset and points to her business. She had a florist and the work I was posting No Parking for was on the dates of Valentines week. I understood exactly why she was upset. My mom works in that business and Valentines is THE holiday for that particular profession. I do not schedule the work and I explained to her that very fact. So that was that. As I walked back to my truck, the heart strings began to pull and I really could feel her pain. So I did what anybody with half a heart would have done... called someone who COULD reschedule the work. Lucky for us all I got the go ahead to change the work to after the holiday! Cupid was saved!

If you keep up with the weather here you will know that rest of the week was not so super as far as work was concerned. On Call + Snow+ Ice. The storm was not as bad as expected. Work was light and mostly uneventful. It was just super cold and nasty out for routine work.

Someone made me smile on Valentines which did brighten the week though. He is also the greatest guy in the world... he cleaned my car of ice and snow during the day despite the fact I had my keys at work! Soooooo thoughtful!

Tomorrow I go off of on call.

Oh yeah and I found money in the street today!

And taxi cabs are awful in the city.

All for now...

No comments: