Wednesday, May 17, 2006

so i didn't make it to Michigan as planned

Previously typed while on my last flight of the day! --

I am sitting on an airplane to Akron, Ohio… FINALLY. I am typing this now for fear that when I finally DO get to Michigan, I will be entirely too tired to tell my story. So, for those of you unaware, I have been relocated to Michigan for a month and a half for work. Not exactly my choice however it is another job and a continuing paycheck. Now back to my story… it all begins at 4 am this morning. Yesterday, I brought my dog and my car home to stay with my mom. So I headed out of Middlesex for Richmond before the sun even thought about rising this morning. We get to Richmond’s airport. Mom drops me off and I’m on my way. Flight is delayed by 10 minutes… no biggie. We board and are headed to Cincinnati, Ohio. Now here is where it all gets interesting… told you I had a story. We cannot land in Cincinnati … too foggy. So they keep us in a holding pattern for about an hour. Then the captain informs us that we are now being diverted to Evansville, Indiana. We need gas and cannot land in Ohio. Fun. So we land, gas up, and then wait. Still can’t go to Cincinnati, the fog has not lifted. Then no sooner then we get on the runway to taxi out… something is wrong with the generator on the plane. We go back to the terminal; they work on it for another hour or so and come to the conclusion that the plane is not going back up. So they kick us off of the plane and we are grouped together in the ticketing area of the airport. There are no flights out! Our only option is to get onto a charter bus to Cincinnati; a 3 hour plus bus trip! By now it is nearly noon. I was supposed to have landed in Akron by 9:33am. Hmmph! Well, a long and might I add bumpy bus trip then ensues. We travel thru Indiana and Kentucky, then into Ohio. Arrived in Cincinnati, and then waited in line. Fortunate for me there were still flights headed to Akron that were not fully booked. So at 4:45pm, I took off from Cincinnati headed to Akron. So here I sit.

Now for the conclusion, I am now in Kent, Ohio after a short car ride. I was way too tired to head out for Michigan tonight, so when given the option – I decided to stay here overnight and head out for Michigan in the a.m. So tomorrow, I should finally make it to my original destination!
Today reminded me that so little is actually simple… one change in plans can throw off even the best of planning. So maybe this is a lesson to me to just take one day at a time and roll with the punches. Now that I’m at the hotel and fed… I do believe I will be taking a shower and going to bed quite soon. More updates to follow!

No comments: