Monday, June 19, 2006

things you just don't see every day...

Well, firstly I'll tell you all about what you don't see in your day to day work routine. Not to be obnoxious to those of you stuck in a cube, or some other mundane location.... but I do get to see some cool shit. *chuckles*

So today, I had lots of walking to do. Seemed like all of my lines were well situated in BFE *that's bum fuck egypt* for those of you unfamilar. So ofcourse me running on little sleep and lots of advil, took on these tasks in a not so happy way. Boy was I in for some real surprises. On my first trip out, I side tracked a couple of swamps and made my way along using wooded edges and fields as they became available. The very last field I came to ... voila' .... TURKEYS. two HUGE gobblers. Now if you have never seen these creatures up close... you don't have a clue what kind of noise they make and how funny they look running away. Still really neat to see them up close and personal. Once I got across the field, I was standing on one of the concrete bases for a tower to help me see over the brush. Was standing there taping my data into my computer and I'll be damn if a hen turkey didn't jump up 6 feet in the air and start carrying on like mad. Now because I have seen this behavior before I knew exactly what she was up to. She apparently had chicks resting in the tall grass and was acting all hurt and crazy to distract me from her nest. I did not investigate in fear that I may actually find the chicks... but I could hear them chirping despite her noise.

So now to the uber crazy... I almost could have died scenerio. Walking along. Minding my business. I walk past a tower *one of the huge metal ones you see all over but never really notice* I hear something large make a move in the tall brush underneath. so ofcouse me and my imagination think BEAR! Well... I clap my hands and whistle just in case to startle what ever is hiding there and there is no more noise. So I walk on content that whatever it was had gone. And yes I DID rationalize away the bear thought as I walked away. About 100 or so feet away I see a gravel area and decide to sit down for a moment so that I can concentrate on getting my data into my computer. I was there tapping away and something was walking behind me. I then turn my head and there is a buck deer less than 10 feet behind where I sat! A huge 6 point buck still in velvet! He continues past me until he is about 10 feet past where I sit... and he pauses.... looking back in my general direction. Oh boy.... this has the potential to be bad. So I say something to him, his ears perk and he takes off down the field.

Now you say... well how can that be bad.... bambi was just walking. Well, if a buck deer attacks you it is bad... ever see The Ring 2? This deer could have really done me some damage if he had been made aware of my presence a minute sooner. or could have attacked/charged me if I had not seen it before it saw me. Apparently, he was what I heard under the tower. He waited til there was no sign of me... *i sat down out of sight* and then decided to follow along . I have never seen a deer in velvet that close before in my life! despite what could of happened I still rank it as one of my uber cool work adventures.

Ok well I was gonna give an update of sorts... way too tired now... I 'm still in MI. Will tell more when i get time again.

1 comment:

lonely palmtree said...

Hey hun, first off, I love your posts cuz they always make me smile. But they also make me miss ya. :-( Anyways, I wish I could hang out with you this weekend but it's the one weekend I'm finally getting to go see Adam in Chesapeake and ironically, I've gotta go to a wedding too. Doesn't that figure. I'm hoping to get up to Fairfax to visit my grandparents soon so maybe we can hang out then? If that sounds cool, then I'll let you know when I manage to work it out. Hope the wedding this weekend is fun!