Wednesday, October 05, 2005

simply my opinion

I am likely about to piss you off. Don't take what I say personally or as an attack to your opinion. I am simply using this space to vent my opinion on a subject. If you don't like my opinion feel free to leave a comment if you wish or just not read this post. Consider yourself warned.

Subject... doctor assisted suicide for critically ill paitents. Now I have not done alot of research on the subject... and this is purely fueled by a newscast I saw tonight. But honestly... what the hell?!?! If a person in poor health wishes to ease/end their suffering in a manner in which they don't have to linger on and be in pain... what business is it of the government's? They are claiming it a misuse of drugs... now here is my big question... what is any bigger misuse of drugs than the prepetual increase in cost associated with such substances. For many individuals to be given any quantity of life they are obligated to spend unheard of amounts of money on such meds. Now if a person wants to enjoy the what ever quality of life that they can possibly have and opt out of meds with the exception of having them help them pass on in a dignified manner... why the hell not? What is the difference in using drugs intended to extend life for extension of life and using drugs intended for the ending of life for their intended purpose?

Do we really want to force people to go about messier ways of ending their existence? Desperate times often fuel desperate measures... especially in people hopped up on pain meds and antidepressants. If one is determined to end their life ... they will likely find a way. Why not give them the option of doing it legally and peacefully in the care of a medical professional?

Ok... I have said my piece. I feel a little less angry now. I am sure the government will do as they please with this topic. Sadly.

Now back to my regularly scheduled blog... in the next post.

No comments: