Monday, September 05, 2005

From Miami to DC... what a long strange trip it has been

Let me start from the beginning. This would be somewhat logical-- if not just plain informative. Two Fridays ago (hard to believe it has actually been that long ago now!), here I was hanging out with my mom... who was still visiting at the time. For the two days prior I had been packed and ready to be shipped south due to Katrina. I figured the storm had hit Miami as a CAT 1 and no big deal, right? Wrong!

I get a call around the 7pm hour from a coworker... we were supposed to had reported for storm duty in the pompano/miami/broward area earlier that day. Oops, someone forgot to call the newest members of the storm team. So here I was with my mom still here and no real ambition to travel south into a hurricane striken area late at night. So then begins the task of repacking the truck, arranging a hotel for mom in orlando so she can get her flight on Sat. morning, and driving south so I could report for work at 6am... somewhere near Miami.

After getting mom to orlando, I head down the turnpike for west palm beach. That late at night there was no real reason to head any further south. There was no power south of there anyhow. So at 1:30 am I finally arrive at the hotel my co-worker was staying at and had reserved me a room at. I take a 4 hour nap... then it is off to somewhere to work. Mid-drive the location changes. I head to the new destination. When I arrive there I am imformed that I am actually stationed at the Orange Bowl in Miami . So then begins the fun, I will now refer to as Miami. A week of 16 hour days of all work!

Miami
  • 9am Saturday... as I find I am lost ... I see HOOKERS! I mean honest to god working girls.
  • Realize I have been assigned to a staging site where I know not a single person... guess it was time to make some new friends
  • 15 SPH really is not enough for a sunny Miami afternoon ... ouch!
  • Ice really is the best thing on earth! Makes water super yummy!
  • Logistics is a naughty word.
  • It really is a small world after all... and there are snakes in OHIO! Despite what I thought previously.
  • Trees DO arc, spark, and catch on fire if they fall on power lines.
  • Banyon trees can snap in half even if they are as big around as my truck!
  • Apparently South Beach is clothes optional... although that is hear say.. never did see it.
  • Asplundh trucks can float.... and will do so if the tree to be cut is on an island
  • Did I mention just how bad of a word logistics is?
  • Driving in Miami is bad.... Being lost in Miami is bad.... Being lost in Miami when there are no traffic signals at night is REALLY bad
  • No one at K-mart speaks english
  • Street signs are really for the most part less than 50% english
  • The Wyndham Hotel near Miami airport seriously sucks and the parking guys really are satan
  • Tree people are blast to hangout with
  • You must have a horn to drive in Miami.... no horn no drive apparently
  • Power poles snapped in half can be replaced with the electric still on
  • I am sure there are more ... but i will spare you, lovely reader

So now you are thinking what all does this really have to do with the title...

well on my last nite in miami -- i call a friend, express intrest in getting out of FL for the long weekend, and voila' the next day I am on a plane in orlando at noon landing in DC at 2:30pm.

What a wonderful end to what was likely one of the most tiring weeks of my life. I was able to get two days of quality sleep, see many friends, crash two parties, and watch Tech's first game of the season. All in one weekend!


No comments: