Thursday, September 08, 2005

Ophelia

yet another hurricane related post... yep, the storm has become a hurricane. It is doing a sit and spin routine 75 miles off shore from cape canaveral. Yesterday I got called onto storm duty prematurely. Today I have been on hurricane duty all day... 12 hours of preparation for tree crews arriving tonight. Now the trick is ... if it leaves and makes a u-turn, we could have trouble. with any luck it will head out to sea and leave us alone.

So amid all of this, I have become a CCR... in other words i have a real storm related job now. On one hand this is exciting, i get to manage my own tree crews on behalf of my utility. On the other hand, It is a very scary thing since i have very limited experience related to storm duty. So much for the ... "we'll make sure you are not put in a baptism by fire situation." If the storm gets bad, guess i will just learn and deal. If not it may be just the learning experience i need. Time will tell.

Aside from storm duty there is not much going on here.

PS. I will likely not get sent to N.O. anytime soon. My coworker is getting sent this weekend for a week or so. So someone has to stay here and make sure normal activities run smoothly. I am not complaining-- I will get an opportunity to go help but likely much later on.

No comments: